Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Secret to a Deeper Relationship with God

Yesterday, I was having a discussion regarding my spiritual journey - how it started and why, and where it is now. I made a comment that up until a few years ago, I wasn't spiritual.

When I went home, I found myself curious as to my answer. Granted, I hadn't been one for organized religion until a few years ago (and even now I don't see it as a prerequisite for spirituality), but I had always considered myself spiritual back then, even if I didn't go to Church. I had a relationship with God. Didn't I?

And I came to realize that no... I didn't. I didn't have a relationship with God because I did not have a relationship with other people. I hid from people. Yes, sure, I prayed sometimes when I needed something. And I even opened my Bible from time to time (although, that was usually just to compare and contrast different religions).

But I didn't take the time to give of myself, or to allow others to give back.  I didn't truly understand the importance of interconnectedness with others and with God. I didn't think others were needed for me to have a close and deep personal relationship with God. I didn't realize just how little of a relationship with Him I actually had. And I didn't realize just how much I was missing out.

Now, don't get me wrong - I still do not believe it is necessary to be in a physical Church. But I do believe it is necessary to have a group of like-faith people you can lean on. And I do believe it is necessary to reach out to those in need, whether they are Christian or not. I do believe that the relationships we develop with others, and the love we share with others, are what bring us closer to Christ and to heaven on earth.

I'm sure you've all heard/read the poem "Footprints in the Sand", where there are two sets of footprints - God's and the author's. I am so blessed to know that there have been many sets of footprints alongside mine. Thank you to all those who've been there with me on my journey - it is a privilege and gift to have you walking with me, sometimes carrying me, sometimes letting me carry you. That's what spirituality and Christianity are about.

God bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system