Saturday, April 6, 2013

Trying To Be Nice(r)

There aren't too many people I dislike/hate in this world... but, unfortunately, there are some. Recently, I've been trying to be more forgiving and accepting of these people. But... I don't always succeed.

Last night, as I was making supper, I was talking to my 15 year old daughter, and we were discussing a man whom, a year or two ago, had gotten physically rough with my daughter.

Me - "Aahhh!!! [he] is such an ass!"
Realizing what I said, I looked up towards heaven...
Me - "Sorry God."
My daughter gave me a confused look, unaware of my attempts at changing my attitude.
Me - "I'm trying to be a nicer person."
Daughter - "Yeah, not working so well..."
Me - "I'm doing pretty well. It's just a few people. He's an ass..."
We got off the topic of this person, and somehow ended up onto the topic of one other person who gets me a bit angry every time I see her/hear her name...
Me - "Oh my God [she] is such a bitch!"
I paused, dropping my shoulders and looking up towards heaven yet again...
Me - "Sorry..."
At this point, my daughter shakes her head and looks up to heaven also...
Daughter - "Hey God... she's not too good at this. Give her a chance... she'll figure it out..."


I never realized just how difficult it can be at times to be nice. In general, I am very nice to people. But, as I said above, there are some people... they just rub me the wrong way. Pretty much all these people I have issues with are people who have that "I'm better than you" attitude. I hate that attitude. I despise anyone who not only thinks, but also acts, as if they are better than someone else. And, this isn't right of me. I know this.

We should be forgiving of people, regardless of their attitudes and actions. We should be loving and caring of these people. But some people make this so incredibly difficult.

Are there certain people you have trouble being nice to? Do you have people you have a hard time praying for and caring for?

Dear Lord,
As my daughter told you yesterday... I'm not too good at this. Please give me a chance - the strength and generosity of heart I need to figure it out.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system