Monday, September 8, 2014

I Just Got Raped


 I've noticed a rather disturbing trend in word usage recently. I've seen it plastered on Twitter and Facebook; I've heard it callously thrown about by teenagers at school, church, and in the home. I've heard it used in cafes, restaurants, bars, and out on the street. And it truly bothers me.

The word?  "Rape."

"I just got raped by that game."
"I raped that math test!"
"He just raped me at basketball."

Or, even worse...

"I'd rape her."
"Want to rape me?"

Every time I hear this word, I remember. Every time any person whose been raped hears that word, he/she remembers.

Rape is not a joke. It is not a word to be taken lightly. It is a serious crime that happens to many people, violating their body, destroying their sense of security, harming their ability to trust and love, causing numerous physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wounds.

Chances are, every person who callously uses this word is saying it in front of at least one person who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Chances are, each time you say it, at least one person is cringing and holding back tears from the memories that you brought back to the surface with that one little word.

Yes, it is just a word. You don't mean to hurt anyone. You're saying it lightheartedly and in jest. But to someone whom has been raped? It is not just a word. It's a painful reality. It's a frightening nightmare. It is not a joke. It is not funny. It is not lighthearted.

Please - find a different word or phrase when talking about how bad you did on a test, or how you beat someone in a game. Rape is not a word that should be used here. And for my "or, even worse" examples - you should never be referring to a girl or guy as someone who you'd rape, nor should you be suggesting someone do this to you.

Parents, teachers, pastors, adults, friends - please help those who use this word callously to understand the damage they potentially are doing to another.

Thank you and God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system