Sunday, September 1, 2013

Not Enough Concealer!



I'm not one of those women who takes 4 hours to get ready to leave the house. I wake up at 7am - and am at work by 7:30. It isn't that I don't care about my appearance... I'm just lazy. I drag a brush through my hair, throw on a little eyeshadow and blush, toss on whatever semi-clean clothes are laying around, and Done!

But today... I have to read in church today. So, I dug out a pretty dress from the darkest corner of my closet. I added some styling gel to my hair. And I started putting on foundation. I didn't even remember I OWN foundation until 10 minutes ago. And I suddenly stopped. Why am I doing this? Why am I taking the extra time? Why am I digging around for concealer? Who am I trying to hide from? What am I trying to hide?

I am a sinner. No amount of concealer is going to change that fact. No amount of foundation is going to hide my sins from our Lord. No amount of mascara is going to disguise my instabilities and uncertainties. No pretty dress is going to make up  for all the people I have attacked and hurt the past few days (months, years...). A good hair day isn't going to bring me forgiveness.

And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:13)
 Dear Heavenly Father, 
I know you can see through all the makeup and pretty lies - you can see the real me. And you still love me. Today, and every day, I give you praise and thanks for still loving me despite my sins. Please bless us all on this Sunday as we stand naked and exposed to you, and forgive us all our sins. 
In Jesus name, 
Amen

2 comments:

  1. Great devotional! It's easy to forget how exposed our sins are to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Crystal. It is easy to forget that. It's also so easy to think we can hide - from God, and from ourselves.

      Delete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system