Thursday, March 27, 2014

10 Lies Christians Tell that Get Under My Skin

The past couple days, I have heard and read many things said by Christians that just got under my skin. I've heard most of these many times before, and every time I do, I cringe. So, in no particular order, here are the top 10 that came to my mind that I've seen/heard just within the past 24 hours...


1. "God sends the storm to show that He is the only shelter."


This implies that our God is some sadistic narcissist. I just cannot believe God needs to prove Himself or His worth. I cannot believe God intentionally harms us just to make Himself look better or to make Himself needed.

2. "Jesus won't let anyone get you." (told to a small child)


I grew up hearing this from family members and Sunday School teachers. I was molested, beaten, raped. And well, obviously either I didn't love Jesus enough, or He didn't love me, or there just wasn't any Jesus.

3. "[insert person's name] was healed because (s)he had more people praying." 


Prayer and God's healing aren't popularity contests. Two people are sick - one has 500 people supposedly praying for him, the other has 3... God isn't going to heal the one with more friends and not the other just because the first is more popular.

4. "My life is perfect now that I've accepted Christ" and 

5. "Once you accept Christ, you no longer sin." 


Both are very inauthentic. Read: The Search for What is Missing 

6. "It's part of God's plan."


Your baby died. It's God's plan. Your home burned down. God's plan. Tornado wiped out half your city. God's plan. Someone walks into an elementary school and opens fire, killing dozens of little children. God's plan. When did we get such a horribly cruel God?!?! Or, does this play back into #1 on this list? 

7. "If you don't turn to God now and repent, you'll burn in eternal hellfire!"


This one isn't so much a lie, as just a poor approach (in my opinion). I just don't see threatening people as a way to get them to turn to God. We shouldn't turn to God in fear, but in love. This is another statement that just makes God seem to be a cruel god, rather than the loving Lord I believe in.

8. "Women are inferior."


This one is worded in many different ways, but always comes back to essentially being that women are inferior to men. This is such a complete lie. Yes, women are different. And in Biblical times, women were often inferior to men in society. But they were never inferior to Christ. Jesus always approached women. And even in the Bible, women were teachers, preachers, and prophets. We should never assume that just because someone is missing a certain part anatomically that they are in any way inferior.

9. "If you don't keep God's commandments, you don't love God/Jesus; if you don't love Jesus, God doesn't love you." 


Abuse of John 14:21. I so don't like this. This verse must be taken in context with the rest of the Bible, most notably John 3:16 and 1 John 4:19. Yes, we should seek to keep God's commandments. But God's love is unconditional.

John 14:21: He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

1 John 4:19: We love Him because He first loved us.

10. "Only Christians have morals."


.... I can't even think of what to say. This one irks me in so many ways. A non-Christian can still be an incredibly good, moral person. Most are (that I have met, anyway). Christians murder... non-Christians murder. Christians help the hungry and homeless... non-Christians help the hungry and homeless. Don't write someone off as being immoral just because they don't believe in God. 

Bonus: "I'm only doing this because I love you." 


This one ties in with #7... but includes the "I'm only saying this because I love you." As Christians, we feel the need to consistently insist sinners are going to hell if they don't repent. We judge people by what we see. Many use this line as an excuse to verbally, emotionally, spiritually, sexually, and physically abuse another person. Love does not hurt! 

What do you think? Do you have any statements you've heard made by Christians that just got under your skin? Please share!

4 comments:

  1. This is an excellent list! I really resonate with every item you listed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observations! So sad how many Christians twist and approach things the wrong way.

    Like #1, God may send a test and often it is for our benefit but we don't see it sometimes for years later...which just plain sucks.

    #6, a friend just had a miscarriage. I didn't know how to respond. So I didn't say anything. There is a time to grieve and a time to rejoice. In the book of Job, Job's friends made a mistake when they opened their mouths. I didn't want to make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For #1... yes, perhaps sometimes it is God testing us. But I believe that often it's just the way of the world. We aren't promised a life free of hardship until we make it to heaven. I do, however, believe that God uses the bad things the world throws at us to help strengthen us, and is there to see us through these trials. I just don't think He causes them (usually).

      For #6... we just talked about this in Bible Study last night. One of our ladies lost her one week old granddaughter a couple months ago. A paraphrase of what she said: "there aren't any words you can give when someone loses a loved one, but don't avoid the person either. A hug, or a comforting hand on her shoulder, says more and means more than words ever can."

      Delete
  3. Thanks. I know it sounds strange, but I'm not sorry. It made me the rather opinionated woman I am today. And although I went through a long bout of not wanting to believe in a cruel God (due to being told many of the things on this list... I believed He was immensely cruel), I am now growing stronger in faith (mainly because I finally figured out that God didn't make these things happen to me).

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system