Saturday, November 28, 2015

Just as you did to the least of these...

A week ago, I was up at one of our local bars enjoying time with friends. A group came in asking where they might get a tire. Theirs had blown, and they were pretty much driving on the rim. All four were adults, but there was just something about this group that touched my heart. Perhaps it was the vulnerability the lone female of the group tried to hide. Maybe it was the fact that the older gentleman was a diabetic. Or perhaps it was something much deeper that cried out they needed help.

Regardless of what it was, I wasn't the only one who picked up on it. That night truly gave me hope as I watched those working make sure this family got a hot meal, and friends make sure they had a warm place to stay for the night and that they had food the next morning. And the tears in the eyes of this group as they gave thanks to those who helped them was all I needed to know that we touched hearts that night and gave hope to people in need.

I was going to write about this the day after all this happened, but sadly I let it slip from my mind until tonight. Tonight, I saw many people once again complaining about how we have our own people in need - we shouldn't let others in and help them. I call bullshit. Please forgive the language, but honestly - if each one of us just gave a little bit more of ourselves, whether our money, or time, or even just a few spare bits and pieces we have tucked away in our pantries, we'd be able to take care of our own AND others.

But we don't. Sometimes it's out of greed. Sometimes it's simply out of that thought of "all I have is a couple cans of veggies... that's not enough to help". Sometimes, we're just too absorbed in our own struggles to even recognize others need help. Regardless of what it is, we don't help as often as we should. And I am just as guilty (of all these reasons) as the next person.

Please - let's all take a little more time and effort this holiday season, and beyond, to recognize those in need. If all you have to give is a winter coat you never wear, or a few cans of food, or even just a hug... give someone hope. Show them God's love. Be God's hands.



37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system