Monday, December 9, 2013

My One Prayer This Season

Many years ago (about 20 or so) I wrote a poem... Never Trust, Never Cry. I held to this motto for years. Over 20 years to be honest. It wasn't until a good friend taught me that it's ok to trust people... it's ok to open up to others... it's ok to let them see me cry... that I started to go against the words of my poem. I went against my mantra.

Tonight, I wrote a post about crying in public - about how so many see those tears and walk away. To be honest, this is a pain that hurts more than holding those tears in. It's the reason I did hold those tears in for so long. But, this isn't about me. It isn't about those who walk away. It's about those who've stayed near. It's about the lessons I've learned from those who haven't walked away.

Thank you God. You have given me a family - not all born of the same blood, but all with more heart and love than I deserve or expected. You've given me sisters who have stayed by my side; brothers who have given me some of strongest and most heartfelt lessons. You've given me people who have loved me; and more importantly have taught me how to love others. I often over look the gifts You've bestowed upon me - I get selfish; get angry that my expectations aren't met. But You have given me so much more than my expectations.

My one prayer this season is that you give me the courage, strength, and love to not ignore another's tears. Give me the ability to recognize the pain and need in another's heart - to be the reflection of comfort you offer us all. Let my arms hold another as if they are Your arms. Let my words bring the peace and comfort only You can give. Let me never be the person to bring upon the pain and emptiness that is felt when someone sees tears and still walks away. Help me to love as You have loved.

In Jesus' name,
Amen.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and wonderful prayer, Brandi! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi, I always love how you wear your heart on your sleeve. You keep it real. Tricky business, knowing who we can trust with our greatest vulnerabilities. Makes me think of Jesus' words about not casting our pearls before swine. Not that we return hate for hate, but that some people haven't earned that level of trust from us. Got me thinking...thanks...
    Evan
    www.EvanNehring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it really strange to hear someone say I wear my heart on my sleeve. Perhaps, in my writing, I always have to a degree. But for the most part, up until a year ago, my heart was wrapped in layers of bubblewrap and stored carefully in a thick cast-iron safe with many many locks on it, and then encased in a cement block, hidden in a locked room... Well, you get the point.

      To be honest, I still don't trust people in general. My words - written and spoken - are carefully thought out. I know the risks before my fingers start typing. I know who can use those words against me. And I know who can use my tears against me. But... I've started to realize that if I don't put the words out there... if I don't put the tears out there... I cut off the possibility of someone surprising me. I cut off the chance of someone joining my growing family of trusted, loving people. Sometimes, you just have to put yourself out there. At least to a degree.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I trust pretty naturally but I have close friends who really don't trust people to be careful with their sentiments. Holy Spirit leads us, right? And I bet I've bumped into you more in the last year, your sleeve heart era. ;-)

      Delete
    3. The Holy Spirit does indeed lead us (when we're smart enough to follow, anyway). And good point on the sleeve heart era. But blah... I really hate the phrase "wear your heart on your sleeve". Makes me sound all sappy, trusting, stupid, wimpy, or something.

      Delete
  3. amen!!! Yes to be a reflection of God's love to all, especially the hurting!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system