Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dig Your Heels in Lady and Quit Your Tantrums


Before I begin this post, I want to extend a huge thank you to a few people. John (from whom the title of this post came from), Greg, Zach, Bob, Jordan, Vernon, Elizabeth, David.... and anyone I may have missed (I apologize if I did)... Thank you for your support, your words of comfort and your encouragement. Thank you for letting me know that sometimes what I write really does make at least a little bit of difference. And yes, thank you to a few of you for that smack upside the head - for telling me to quit the tantrums.

----------

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it. (Mark 11:12-14)

Most of Mark, Chapter 11, is Jesus throwing a tantrum. Of course, because Jesus is perfect and without sin (in most theologies), we are not taught that this is indeed what he's doing. But, essentially, he is. He is hungry and that dang blasted tree has no fruit for him. So he kills it.

We all throw tantrums at one point or another. Of course, when we think of a tantrum, we think of a child throwing himself to the floor kicking and screaming. As adults, we aren't usually quite as physically dramatic. But oh.... some of us do have our moments where our emotions run high, and others can almost picture us doing exactly as a toddler would do.

This was me recently.

Why? Because most Christians are narrow-minded (or, more often, close-minded), judgmental bigots.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, or with each other. A fellow blogger has a wonderful post on this topic so I won't rewrite what he's already so exceptionally written (read it... it's great: God Creates Hand Crafted one of a kind Sculptures).

Disagreements are fine. Differing opinions are actually great - provided we're willing to learn from each other. What I am in need of, and find seriously lacking in the general Christian public are people who are accepting; are there to support each other (not just preach about it); are willing to have rational, open-minded discussions on biblical/theological topics; are willing to actually listen and not immediately say "you're wrong!"

I need people who understand loving their neighbor - and their enemy. Granted, loving someone does not mean you always agree with them. But it does mean that you respect their opinion and them as a person enough to put away hateful, arrogant, judgmental words. And it means you help lift them up rather than tear them down.

And many Christians are not this way. Many Christians fall prey to arrogance and pride. They have all the answers. They're smarter. Their way of worship is the only way. They will argue and become spiteful little children as they press on with their beliefs. One person told me he was simply trying to get across his deep seated beliefs. That's what most of us are trying to do... but we must be cautious about how we do this.

I have to admit though... this person is actually the one person who surprised me the most, and made me really take a step back and think about whether I was doing the right thing by walking away. Why? Because of one simple statement he made... "I'm concerned about myself now."

We should all be concerned about ourselves - are we acting prideful and arrogant? Are we being hateful? There is nothing wrong with standing firm in your beliefs - provided you do so humbly, and not at the expense of others.

Anyway, this post is getting longer than I wanted it to... and veering off topic...

Yes, a couple nights ago, I threw a temper tantrum. And, I do apologize for it. But I will not apologize for what I had to say about Christianity. I will still write. I will still converse with some of you. Thanks to some of you, I've seen that there are some Christians who - while may disagree with some of my specific beliefs - do agree with the general belief that we should be open minded and accepting. A sincere thank you goes out to those of you who recognize that we're all different.... and that we do not know the absolute truth about everything in the Bible (and so help me God if anyone comments on this about the Catholic church having the authority to know the truth or whatever.... I will throw another tantrum, and you won't wanna see it).

In other words, I will be taking John's advice - I will dig in my heels and quit my tantrums (for now anyway).


Ohh! Another Jesus tantrum.... I couldn't find a good place in the post to add this... and didn't want to add it with the fig tree verses... so I add it here at the end, because I can :)

15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’” (Mark 11:15-17)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system