Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Either God is Evil, or You're Being Lied to

At least once a week, I read something from someone claiming God sends us troubles and/or allows us to face troubles so that we learn to trust in him. That He does this to strengthen us.

I apologize for the language, and for anyone I offend with this, but I call Bullshit! This has got to be one of the most nonsensical bullshit lies I have ever seen taught about God. You're telling me - God allows a newborn baby to be thrown against a wall by her father, or drowned by his mother, to teach us to trust in God? You're telling me - God makes it so some psychologically ill person enters a school and kills a bunch of children, as a way of strengthening us? Please, Please, PLEASE! tell me on what planet that makes sense?

Either this theory is correct - which makes God insanely selfish and evil. Or, this theory is just a lie - which would go along with God being good. Of course, if this theory is a lie, why do bad things happen?

First, allow me to throw out some Bible verses which almost always accompany the articles teaching this lie...
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? (Romans 8:35)
To me, this is one of the most inspirational verses in the Bible. It's letting us know that regardless of what we do or what we go through, we still have the love of Christ and are still saved by His sacrifice. It doesn't say trouble or hardship is given to us so that we're brought closer to Christ. It says we cannot be separated from the love of Christ.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)
This is another incredibly inspirational piece of scripture. Why? Because it provides us with a better way of looking at the obstacles in our path. This, to me, in no way tells us that God is letting things happen to us because He wants to test our faith.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)
Again, inspirational. And to me, this can be looked at a few different ways. 1 - this was written by Jeremiah, regarding God's words to those exiled from Jerusalem. You really don't have to look at it as anything more than this. However, 2 - God does have plans for us. He doesn't harm us. He doesn't give us pain and trouble. These things are not part of His plan. He will give us hope and a future - hope for a future of eternity.

So why do bad things happen?

Because sin entered this realm? Because the world is plagued by evil? Because this earthly realm is Satan's playground? I truly do not know. But I do firmly believe that God has not ordained evil activities. When we're faced with stress and struggles and problems and troubles and evil and obstacles and pain and death... this is quite simply because this is how this life is. And God promises that some day it will all change. There will be no more hardship and despair of any magnitude.


1 comment:

  1. AMEN, AMEN, AMEN (I WISH I COULD USE A LARGER FONT!)...YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system