Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Perfectly Imperfect


This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Then the word of the Lord came to me. 

He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.

(Jeremiah 18:1-5)

I remember when my children were newborn babies. They were perfect - untarnished by the realities of life. They didn't have a care or concern in the world. And then they began to grow up. They came face to face with obstacles and decisions and hardship and loss.

They came face to face with the brokenness of this world. 

They came face to face with things which changed them. 

But, God understands this brokenness. As He is forming us, He realizes that we aren't going to stay untarnished... unmarred. As we are being formed by Him, we are also being marred by life. We get cracks and breaks. But He continues shaping and forming us. He uses the bad things in our lives, along with the good, to come up with something beautiful. 

God doesn't just say "Oh, this one isn't quite right" and toss the imperfect aside. He makes us perfect, not in spite of our imperfections, but because of our imperfections. 

We couldn't ask for a better potter.


1 comment:

  1. Your images are beautiful and illustrate your message very well.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system