Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Love - The Cause of the Irrelevance of Morality


I read earlier tonight on another blog that one reason people oppose the Bible is because people are being pressured to essentially ignore biblical morality (It's actually a wonderful post - I highly recommend it: 3 Reasons People Oppose the Bible). The author attributes this to Jesus' commandment that we love our neighbor.

I've heard many people say this many times, and I can't say they're wrong. But, I will say that we're wrong in how we're going about this love. I am a firm believer that we should teach and follow practices of tolerance. I am a firm believer that we must love not only our neighbor, but our enemies as well. Why? Abraham Lincoln said it best: "Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"


We tend to think that to love our neighbor, we must allow sin, and even partake in such sin. And that we must argue and yell and complain about tolerance and intolerance and everything in between. This is not tolerance. This is not love. Love is saying "Murder is wrong. What you did is wrong. But, God still loves you, and I still love you, and I will help you and pray for you." Love is saying "Come with me, let me show you another way."

When we show tolerance, understanding, compassion and love to a thief - we have a great potential of turning that thief from his life of crime. When we show tolerance, understanding, compassion and love to a prostitute - we have a great potential of turning her from her life of sexual immorality.

When used correctly, love and tolerance strengthen morality - they don't make it irrelevant. They don't make it non-existent. 

Jesus did not give us this commandment simply so that sin could run amok. That would be something Satan would do - not Jesus. Jesus gave us this commandment because he knew that love can and will conquer sin. He gave us this commandment because he knew this is the way to Him, and to Heaven.

And yet so many choose not to follow this main commandment because they believe it will cause more sin. Those who believe this to be true are basically saying - "Christ Jesus... you are wrong!" They are saying "God, You truly don't have a clue about mankind - Your own creation!"

Do you believe Jesus had it wrong? Do you believe that Christ would lead us in a direction which causes more sin? If so, keep believing love is not the answer....






6 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I heard something similar applied to a theft. Someone stole a camera from a friend of mine in an airport. He turned just in time to see the thief turn a corner with the camera. Anger was his first instinct, but right there on the spot, he prayed saying, “Lord I freely give my camera to that man. He didn’t steal it. He’s not a thief. I relinquish all claim to it and I thank you for the opportunity you’ve given me to give such a fine gift”.

    Long story short (too late) less than 1 week later God provided the means for the man to get a camera worth three times as much as the one that was given away.

    We do destroy our enemies by making them our friends…
    Sin cannot stand in the presence of love…
    And in this case, a thief is not a thief if we make the choice to give…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your friend definitely has a lot more love and compassion than I do. I am quite certain I would have chased down the man (or, feebly attempted to do so).

      You are so right, though - especially that sin cannot stand in the presence of love. Thank you...

      Delete
  2. I do think there is a fine line between love and tolerance to sin. But if we looked at Paul the apostle' s writing in 1 cor 13:6 he said " love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth". I've been told before that there is a time to encourage, a time to correct and a time to rebuke. The last two is quite harder to do, we all tend to encourage all the time which leads to sin being tolerated as you have discussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying to be tolerant to sin - we need to be tolerant of people. We're all sinners. Who am I to rebuke you for a sin when I have also sinned? But, even if I were to correct you for your sin, I should always do so with love, with the intention of helping you, and then let it go.

      So many people say "hate the sin, love the sinner" but have no clue what this actually means. Their idea of following this adage is to tell the person "you're sinning. You haven't repented. You will go to hell if you do not repent and follow Jesus. And I will have nothing more to do with you until you correct your wrongs."

      They may not say those exact words, but their actions definitely speak them.

      My daughter got pregnant out of wedlock. She was not quite 18 at the time. Her father and I let her know that we did not approve of her actions, and why. And then we dropped the subject and gave her the love and support she needed. The sin itself was between her and God.

      That 1 Corinthians verse you gave... the verse right before it says that love "... it keeps no record of wrongs." It is ok to correct someone's behavior... but then let it go. Leave the sin to God, and LOVE the person. One cannot use the 6th verse, and ignore the verses surrounding it.

      1 Corinthians 13: 4-7
      4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

      Delete
  3. good read - I like your words...."love and tolerance strengthen morality" so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Dave... and for not being upset that I referred to your post. I usually ask permission first... but you inspired me and I wasn't thinking....

    God bless you...

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system