Friday, October 4, 2013

What Matters Most


Every night there's a new discussion... a new debate... a new argument... happening on Facebook and Google+ regarding Christianity. "My faith is better than your faith" is what they all amount to - which is actually quite ridiculous since we all worship the same God. And yet, I take part in these. And many I know take part in these. But honestly, does it matter if we believe baptism is by immersion or sprinkling? Does it matter if we believe the Lord's Supper is literal or figurative? Does it matter if we believe this verse means this, or that?

No. It does not matter.

How can I say such a thing? How can I know this?

First... allow me to describe something that I don't know if I even can describe...

Nearly a year ago, a friend of mine (who happens to be a pastor) drug me (figuratively) to the baptismal font in his church. I was not a member there. I'd been a rare church-goer at all. But there I stood with him, my heart heavy. My soul heavy. I felt as if God had abandoned me. My eyes brimmed with tears that I refused to let fall as I stood beside a man I refused to trust in the building of a God I believed could never love me.

He had me dip my hands into the water; let me feel the water flow between my fingers. I could feel a slow peace beginning to overcome me, but I tried to ignore it. And then he dipped his own fingers into the water, and moved his hand to my head. With his thumb, he made the sign of the cross on my forehead, stating with no uncertainty that I am a beloved child of God.

The tears fell. My knees trembled, barely able to hold my weight. I shook. I couldn't seem to find my voice. And what happened inside me? I can never come up with words adequate enough to explain. I suddenly knew... I knew God was there with me. I knew He did love me. I knew I was one of his beloved. My heart that had been closed off for 30-some years was suddenly opened. I trusted. My whole being was suddenly filled with the Holy Spirit. And I felt peace. And I felt loved.

------

So, how do I know that all the "little" things we argue and fight about really don't matter that much?

Easy... if it does matter, than the my faith must be the only correct faith. Why? Because the Holy Spirit is in me... and I am saved... and I am a beloved child of God. And I know this without a doubt. And, at the time I became aware of this, I was a faithful attender of the Lutheran church, and was in the process of switching my membership to that church. So, if all these things matter... than what I believe must be the correct belief... which means everyone must convert to Lutheranism. That's the only answer...

Unless, of course, these things really just aren't as important as the Grace and Love of God - a grace and love so immense that He gave his only Son, our Lord, to die for us.

This is what matters most.

4 comments:

  1. There is a term called "Liberty on the non-essentials and unity on the Essentials"

    There are some things (the important things like Jesus being the messiah and such things) that an individual must hold true to.
    There are other things, like whether you must be baptized and if you are how....? Baptism does not get you to heaven so I agree that is a non-essential.

    Also simply because one has the holly spirit and is saved does not make them perfect so our beliefs and theology can obviously be wrong as it always will be in some areas until the day we die and get to heaven.

    So all in all I agree with your main points... I would say, however, don't over take this idea and not fight for the principles that ARE essentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree that there are essential beliefs. That's why I specified that those of us arguing all believe in the same God... and ended with saying that it is the "Grace and Love of God - a grace and love so immense that He gave his only Son, our Lord, to die for us." Perhaps I should have added that the Son rose from the dead as well. But regardless... those are the important points - the "essentials" as you called them. In fact, this is the message we're supposed to be teachings... this is the Good News we're supposed to be sharing.

      Delete
    2. In salvation God begins with the person and not how well they know Him. It is even possible for Jesus Christ to save an atheist who by no fault of his own lived in total ignorance but wanted to be true to their conscience. Only Jesus saves but the quality of our salvation is based on how we participate in his plan in the knowledge that saves. The scripture teaches in 2peter 1:4 that are to participate in the divine nature though the “promises” that God gave us. How you respond to the promises determines the quality of experiencing the divine nature.

      Delete
  2. Yes those are certainly essentials Brandi and that is the good news we are supposed to be sharing. I agree.

    And Ric I would agree there as well. We are all judged by what we know, but at the same time Romans tells us that all are without excuse. So no one is totally without accountability.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system