Monday, August 24, 2015

Happy 3rd Birthday

Three years ago today, I was riding back from Fargo with a pastor. He'd taken me to go see my father-in-law who'd ended up in the hospital with cancer that he'd just a month earlier been diagnosed with. On this trip back home, the pastor was talking about how he still had to write a sermon for that Sunday. Jokingly, I offered to do write it for him. His response? "I'd love to see what you'd come up with."

Of course, I did not write his sermon for him, but that evening, after getting home, I decided to see what I could come up with. And Sermons from a Psycho was born.

It's been an interesting journey these past 3 years. I went from being a non-church going member of the UCC church to an almost-always present member of the ELCA church. I went from writing smut stories to now having over 400 "sermons" (only a few of which could actually be considered semi-preachable sermons). I have gone from someone who distrusts pastors to having two trusted pastors in my life who are continuously challenging me to grow. I have gone from not being active in a church to being a Sunday School teacher, the webmistress of the church website, helping with other things around the church, and have even had the opportunity and blessing to preach. I have gone from not understanding the importance of church, of fellowship, of worship, etc. to these things being a vital part of my daily life.

And it's all because of one silly little challenge that I couldn't let go unmet.

Thank you, God for bringing people into my life to challenge, guide, teach, and care about me. Thank you for bringing people into my life who have helped me develop a love for you and your church. Thank you for blessing me and guiding me in writing these "sermons".





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system