Thursday, April 11, 2013

One Man, One Cross, One New Peace



2 Corinthians 1:2-7
2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 6 If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
Recently, at random moments throughout the day, I feel this burning sensation on my forehead. Not a painful burn... a tingling of sorts, a deep warmth. And I reach up to that spot in the middle of my forehead and catch myself tracing a cross with my thumb, as this is the shape of the burning. And as I do so, I feel a sudden comfort, and I feel very much not alone, and I feel like I am more than me.

It is such a difficult concept to try to explain. I have been trying to make sense of it in my own mind, and when this failed, I turned to this computer screen. But, I am finding it equally difficult to explain here. It is a feeling that cannot be described - it must be felt.

I first felt it months ago. I had been in distress, troubled and worried over family members who were suffering health problems. I sought spiritual guidance for the first time in my life, and during this time, one man (the one giving me this guidance I so desperately needed) made the symbol of a cross on my forehead. A couple months later, he did this again. Both times moved me more than words can describe. A few weeks ago, someone else did this as well. And it renewed that feeling. And now, I find myself doing this often and randomly. And I feel that peace and comfort fill me. And I know I am not alone.

All it took was one man, making one cross, to bring me a new peace I had never known before.
All it took was one man, dying on one cross, to bring us all a new peace. 

“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” (1 Peter 2:24)


1 comment:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system