Monday, August 19, 2013

Feed Me!

Whenever anyone in my house walks around with food, our little puppy (note: the image on this post is NOT my puppy... my puppy refuses to sit still for photos) is right there. She'll go up on her hind legs, hopping around following us. She'll give us that pleading puppy-dog look. She'll beg. For anything. It doesn't matter what food we have - she wants some. She wants a bite, a morsel, a crumb.

Have you ever felt that way? Have you ever found yourself following someone around begging for just another crumb of God's Word? Of the one food that can sustain us? It is not enough to read the Bible (although, I do highly recommend this be done as well). But, as I was taught a year ago - we need more than just to read the words. We also need guidance. We need a strong spiritual leader. And now, since being shown this, I find myself often feeling like the begging little puppy, pleading for one more morsel...

Up until a year ago, I considered pastors to be something to be avoided, other than the polite greetings before and/or after Sunday service, when I even bothered going to service. But now, I've come to realize something... I want someone to help guide me spiritually. I want someone I can turn to when I'm spiritually drained. I need all of this.I need someone who will feed me - through his sermons, through his prayers, through offering me communion and blessings. I need someone who will feed me with something substantial. I want a pastor - an active one... not just one I half listen to on Sunday mornings.

Am I wrong to want this stuff? Am I expecting too much? Am I placing too much emphasis on a desire for a spiritual leader? I used to go about my spirituality on my own... but now, I am not sure if it's enough any more... am I wrong in this thinking?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment, Chad. I agree, some seem to stop at the elementary. Yes, God loved the World. He Loves us, even though we don't deserve such love. We're saved!

    And now, I'd like to graduate elementary school please. Heck, I'd be happy to get out the 2nd grade. Give me more than John 3:16 without losing it (which yes, I have belonged to a church which seemed to completely forget the elementary lessons).

    Maybe we're asking too much? Maybe all there will ever be are the two extremes - the salvation we must earn because we're evil little cretins... or the salvation we've been given regardless if we continue being evil little cretins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time in my life when I hungered for the Word as you hunger now. I still do. But I’ve learned to look at things from a new perspective…

    I inherited the church I attend now through my wife. Her church represents community. It was the only family she knew for 8 years as a single mother in a state where she had no family.

    The people in the church are amazing, loving and caring people. I’ve developed great relationships with the people in the church. I’ve been able to build quality relationships that I’ve never had before in my life.

    This church has given me the opportunity to serve as a Stephens Minister and show God’s love to others on a platform that I’ve never had before.

    The Small Group family that we are a part of is just that, a family. The bonds are strong and genuine.

    So while I may not be getting the meat on Sunday that I’d love to have, the trade off, factoring all the other benefits in is well worth it.

    I know where to go online, on TV, on radio, and through CD’s and DVD’s to get my Porter House steak, before going to church on Sunday to get the milk to wash it all down…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're incredibly blessed to have a church like that. While I do love the church I am in, I've only been there for under a year, and it doesn't quite harbor the same community feel. I have never truly fit in anywhere in this town. Yes, I know where I can go online or in books or wherever, I still want that meat being delivered by someone with the knowledge and know-how to deliver it face to face. This doesn't necessarily need to be a pastor... that just seems the most sensible option. And it isn't just this. I also just want spiritual guidance and support. It seems as if you get a lot of spiritual guidance and support from your church family. Unfortunately, I don't.

      Delete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system