Friday, February 21, 2014

Why I Don't Listen to the Bible or Church

First, allow me to state that the irony (and/or sheer stupidity) of some of what I'm about to write does not escape me. I quite literally chuckled out loud as I was playing this post through in my mind and seeking Scripture references. You'll see what I mean (maybe) in a few moments (should you continue reading, of course)...

I Don't Listen to the Bible

Oh dear. Did I really just say that?

Allow me to explain...

I do not know Jesus loves me because the Bible tells me so. While a pretty song, I disagree with those first two lines.

I do not love God because the Bible tells me to do so.

I do not avoid killing people, nor do I attempt to not hate people, because it's in the Bible (sorry for the double/triple negative there).

I do not believe in God because the Bible says to. I do not follow Christ because it says to. I do not pray because I'm told to. I do not try to listen for God's voice because it tells me I should.

I do not believe I am saved because it is written in the Bible.

I Don't Listen to the Church or those Teaching

All of what I wrote above... goes the same if I'm hearing it from my pastor, or from others within the Church, or because that is what the Church believes.

I Listen to God

Don't get me wrong - it is good to read the Bible. I think it is essential to our Spiritual growth. I also think it is good to listen to our teachers/preachers/pastors/priests. I believe they are also essential to our Spiritual growth. I also think it is essential to listen to different points of view on different subjects regarding Christianity, and even other religions. This doesn't mean we have to follow/believe these points of view - we just need to be open to listen.

And then, most importantly, we need to be open to listen to God. I do not believe Jesus/God loves me because it's in the Bible, or because a Sunday School teacher told me so, or even because a pastor who is my mentor has told me this. I believe it because God has put that faith within me.

I try to avoid sin (usually), not because it is written in the Bible, or because a man called by God says to avoid it, but because it is a desire God has put within my heart.

I try to follow in Christ's footsteps because that is the path God has programmed into my internal GPS navigation system.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1) - The Word of God came before the Bible. And after the Bible. And today. 
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life." (John 5:39-40) - We must turn to God. Not the Bible... God.
"I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth." (1 Corinthians 3:6) - pretty self explanatory, in my mind. Yes, the Bible and teachers and the Church help. They are essential. They are builders. But they are not the foundation.
As I said before, yes, the Bible and Church are important. But God must be the foundation, otherwise you can read the Bible a hundred times over and not be a true believer or follower. You can go to every Church service and not be a true believer or follower. God's Voice is the one we must listen to - the voice that echoes through our very soul, mind and heart.


(Oh... and in case you didn't recognize the irony... I'm using Bible verses to explain why I don't listen to the Bible.... Clever me.... )

15 comments:

  1. A Great Write up and makes allot of Since to. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm this is something to think about. As for me I listen to the Bible because it is the inspired Word of God. To not listen to the Bible to me is almost like me saying "Lord I want to hear what You have to say, but I dont want to read the letter you wrote to me". I would much rather listen to the Bible than to follow my heart any day and we already know what the Bible says about our desperately sick heart. However, this was interesting. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you would rather listen to the inspired Word of God than the actual Word of God? Interesting...

      Delete
    2. Are you saying the Bible is not the word of God? Go read 2 Timothy 3:16.

      Delete
    3. You said "As for me I listen to the Bible because it is the inspired Word of God.".... therefore, you go read 2 Tim 3:16. :) I am simply saying that God speaks to me, as He does all of us, and we need to listen to Him... not just read a Bible. Not just listen to men called by God to teach us. But really listen to Him.

      Delete
  3. Okay I will read it, 2 Timothy 3:16 says " All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works". God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... it is the inspiration of God. So.... what is your argument? :)

      Delete
  4. You asked the question would I rather listen to the "inspired word of God rather than the actual word of God"? Sounds like you are hinting at the Bible NOT being the actual word of God lol. No argument though, scripture defends itself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never once said that or implied that. If you read what I said in this post, I was simply making the point that you can read the Bible over and over and NOT be moved by it, and NOT be a Christian. I've known many of different religions who have read the Bible. It means nothing if you don't have the Holy Spirit within. You must listen to God... not the Bible, not the preachers/teachers. God.

      Delete
  5. Well you asked me that question in your first reply to my comment and it did seem quite odd to be asked such a question from a believer in Christ. Go back and read your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was simply replying to your comment. You seemed to put more emphasis on reading the Bible than on listening to God. And that seemed quite odd from a believer in Christ.

      Delete
  6. No actually I put more emphasis on listening to God through His Word (Bible) rather than to listen to my heart. God speaks to us (believers) through His Word. He gives us the indwelling Holy Spirit to teach us and bring all things to our remembrance of what His Word says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the "indwelling Holy Spirit" comes from listening to GOD... not from reading the Bible.

      Delete
  7. The moment we receive Christ as our Savior we receive the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has all knowledge. The Bible says, “The Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God” (1 Corinthians 2:10). It is the Holy Spirit who teaches us and takes us deeper and deeper into God’s truth as we go along in our Christian life. We are to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ, but we can grow only by the help of the Holy Spirit. We also must study and read Gods word as well.
    So yes in my last reply I stated that I put more emphasis on listening to God through His word rather than my heart. The heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. Bible backs up that statement in Jeremiah 17:9 (but read whole chapter) "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" My heart may tell me God is saying this or that when actually He may not be saying what I think He is saying. That's why its important for ((ME)) and all believers to study His word and find out what God's will is for our life. God reveals His will to believers in His word. Jesus said in John 15:7 (but read the whole chapter) "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." Do you even understand what it means for His "words" to ABIDE in you? Do you also know what it means to "abide" in Christ???
    So back to 2 Tim. 3:16 that I quoted earlier in a reply, this verse says "All Scripture is inspired of God..." Inspiration is from God's heart and mind to the writers. Inspiration means that God IS THE AUTHOR of the text. He has moved through the writer to communicate to us His truth and will.
    Why does the apostle Paul tell us in 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Study what?? Hmmm... the Bible perhaps. "
    Im pretty much done going back and forth on this matter. I encourage all believers to abide Christ, study and meditate on Gods word daily and pray without ceasing. Jesus said "If you love me, keep my commandments". Therefore go study and learn what His commandments are. Learn what God's will is so that when you hear His voice you will know its really Him speaking to you. Jesus said " My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.”-John 10:27

    And lastly Hebrews 1:1-2 "1) Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2) but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

    God bless you. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I never once said I listen to my heart over God's Word. I said I listen to GOD over the BIBLE. I am not disagreeing with anything you have said. I have even stated that it is essential to read the Bible. But first and foremost we must listen to God. I'm not quite certain what you're trying to argue as you seem to be disagreeing with things I never even stated.

      However, I do not believe that God is the AUTHOR of the text. For that to be true, all books would read in the same style/tone/language. Every author, as we can see just by Christian bloggers, has his/her own style and tone. Some are more like the Psalmist David - writing poetic cries of hardship. Some write praises. Some are more historical and scholarly. Take the New Testament - Paul wrote longer sentences; Mark's were shorter; and John's view of the life of Christ was from a different point of view than Luke. If God was the AUTHOR... then these differences wouldn't appear. Instead, God put the precise thought into the mind of the writer (i.e. He inspired the writer)... but then that person was the author, and wrote that thought in his own words and style, with his own personality showing through, and the context of his own culture showing through.

      Delete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system