Thursday, March 14, 2013

75%







Ash Wednesday, as I was writing a blog post, I made the decision to write a post every day throughout the Lent season. I knew this would be a challenge for me - not because I don't like to write, or can't write daily, but rather because I am the type of writer who generally only writes when inspiration hits. I have gone a couple months without writing, only to suddenly find myself glued to my computer almost 24/7 for weeks on end.

And I can't make a list and say "Ok, I'm going to write about this on Monday... and this Tuesday..." My topics just suddenly come to me, and I write them. This has probably been the biggest challenge of mine. Inspiration either hits when I can't do anything about it (i.e. when I'm working... or at church); or, it doesn't hit at all.

Anyway, I went through my blog posts tonight - I am missing seven days of posts. Seven! That means I only actually managed to write 3/4's of the time I said I would. I only held to 75% of my promise.

Can you imagine that one in a marriage? "It's ok honey - I held to 75% of our vows..."

A promise is a promise. A commitment is a commitment. You can't just do 75% of it. Or even 90% of it. Try that the next time with your electric bill... "I'm only going to pay 75% of my bill."

Or with parenthood - "I'm only going to take care of 75% of my children."

What if God only followed through with 75% of his promises? 


"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)
On second thought... God decided to only meet 75% of your needs...

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)
God has changed his mind - he wants to see how well it goes if he does allow you to occasionally be tempted beyond what you can bear.


"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:16)
Let's toss it up a bit - you have a 50/50 chance of being saved... which means it really doesn't matter if you're baptized or believe.... because those who do not believe also have a 50/50 chance.

Don't Just Give 75%!

With your promises - give your all.
With your prayers - give your all.
With your love - give your all.

God is giving you 100%... he deserves the same, as do your neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. If we are going to run the race. Run so as to win. We can't be afraid to go 'all in' with our faith. This is the Father's desire for us.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system