Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Hear You - But What Are You Saying!?


I really haven't changed much. Not in the last year... the last 10 years... the last 20. I still cuss like a sailor. I still enjoy a shot of whiskey a little too much. I still feel that anger and hatred in my heart. I still hate myself. I still push people away, and cause them pain.

But, my family thinks I've lost my marbles. They think I've changed. I go to church. I write Christian-based blog posts. I speak to and of pastors with appreciation rather than disdain.

So which is it? Have I truly changed?

Interesting question. I don't know. In some ways, yes. In some ways, no. In some ways, I'm trying not to... and yet the voice within my soul - or perhaps just speaking to my soul - is getting louder.

I've felt it rather than heard it for nearly a year now. It started last May. I remember exactly when and where I first noticed it. At the time, I didn't fully recognize it for what it was. And, I still don't understand fully what it is. I just know it is getting louder. But, I can't understand what this voice is telling me.

I do know this voice is God. After almost 11 months, I have finally come to understand and accept this. But I don't know what He wants from me. I do know He wants me writing.  How do I know this? Because all my life I have been a writer. I have been propelled to paper or computer by a deep-seated need within my head. It is how I have always made sense of the chaos living up there. But this... these posts I've been writing for the past 11 months (or, most of them anyway)... these have been brought forth by something else. The need to write hasn't been coming from my head.

But why? What does God want from me? I hear Him... but what is He saying? Where is He leading me?

I'm trying not to focus on it so much. Not to worry on it. God will take me where He wants to take me. But... I do focus. I do worry. I don't like surprises in my life. I don't like change - especially of the unexpected, unplanned kind. I want to know what is happening and when and especially why. Oh yes, definitely want to know why.

And so I get frustrated. And confused. And my brain takes over (the crazy chaotic one... not the rational (yeah, like I have a rational side) one).

Have you ever walked through a haunted house... or even just a dark creepy alley... and you just know there is going to be something around the corner waiting to jump out at you? You tense. Your senses are all on overload, to the point where any little whisper of the wind has you looking around? That's kind of how I'm feeling... just, not the fear part of that scenario. Just the hyper-intense anxiousness, and the curiosity that makes us keep walking.

How does one know truly what God is calling them to do? I know He wants me for something more, but I can't understand him. Can anyone answer this? And please... while I do realize "pray" is the most likely answer to "how can I know what He's calling me to do"... I'm looking for just a little bit more...


Speaking of being called by God.... stay tuned for another post tonight...

3 comments:

  1. Minus the first two paragraphs I could have written this post. As a matter of fact, I've used the same image on a post before.

    God's voice will get through. It isn't always a billboard voice. As a matter of fact, it is typically a still, small voice that is waiting for us to clear all the other noise from our minds so we can focus on His whispers of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I think I've used that image on another post of mine, too. I just like the image. That said... I want the billboard! I want it spelled out :)

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. My spiritual director helped me a lot on just this very topic. I knew in my heart that God was moving in me. Being a doer, I was ready to run with it. I talked to friends and then my spiritual director and received some very wise words. Just 'be' a child of God.

    Just let Jesus love you. In the gospel story of Martha and Mary, Martha was worried about a great many things. She was busy 'doing'. Mary just sat at the feet of Jesus and adored him. Jesus said Mary has chosen the better part.

    So, now, when I start to get anxious, I step back to just be the child of God. When I focus on being, then the doing takes care of itself and is mostly where God wants me to go.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system