Tuesday, February 24, 2015

We are Very Good - Together

If you read the story of creation in Genesis 1, you'll find that after almost each day, God looks on what He's done, and says that it is good. On the sixth day, He created man. And when He looked over everything He had done... it wasn't just good. It was very good.

God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. (Genesis 1:31)
Now, this distinction may not seem like much. But, in my opinion, that slight change of wording makes a world of difference. Not one single part of creation is meant to be on its own, and each part affects the other parts. The plants need the earth and water, the sun and shade. The animals need these same things, as well as the plants for nourishment. Man needs all of these. Together, it all works... and it is all very good.

But notice that it became "very good" after man and woman were created. It wasn't after just man. Together, they were very good. God intended both to work together. And it goes well beyond just those first two members of humankind.

I don't need anyone - my life is "good"


We seem to find it so easy in our lives to become self-absorbed. Or, at least, I do. Up until a few years ago, I didn't believe I needed anyone. My life was good. I had a husband and children. A few family members. There was no need for community - for reaching out in another's time of need, nor for reaching out in my time of need.

Of course, this belief of not needing others only lasted until a certain friend walked into my life and challenged that belief. Granted, I argued with this person (and still do) every chance I got. But the past 20 hours has made me reflect on this. And, I find myself forced to admit that this friend just may have been right (ok, I knew that a few years ago... just don't tell him I said that).

At midnight last night, my husband passed out and quit breathing. This is not the first time we've had to make a 911 call in the middle of the night... we seem to do so a few times a year these past few years. Every other time the ambulance has shown up at my door, I have felt that fun combination of relief that help had arrived, fear of what was going on, anxiety/panic/high-gear sensation where the mind spins out of control trying to figure out what to do next, and probably a few other emotions I'm missing. This time was different...

We're made to be "very good" together


This time I felt comfort. Yes, those other things were there as well, but to lesser degrees than before. It was all overpowered by a sense of comfort. Why? Because of the group who showed up at my door - community members and friends, all there not only to provide care to my husband, but also to support me. I no longer looked on them as just a spattering of people just doing a job. I saw them as a group of loving individuals, giving up their own sleep and working together to help a family in need. And it was very good.

It doesn't matter who you're working with - we all are much better when we're working together, doing God's work. We're all much better when we're raising each other up and reaching out to one another and loving one another. Race, color, creed, gender, age, sexual orientation - none of it should ever matter. God created each one of us... we were each created "good"... and when we're all together - living and working and praying and loving together - we are "very good."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system