Saturday, August 25, 2012

Let me In!

You've passed away, leaving behind your friends and family, finally rid of the pain and suffering of existence as a living, breathing human being. Your soul stands before the Gates to Heaven. Will it be open to you? And is having them open for you enough to truly call yourself a good Christian?

Today's sermon goes along with the one regarding morality and religion, and also goes along with a couple other things I've written in recent weeks (Dear Pastors/Preachers and Dear Pastor Clarified). This entire topic is very important to me. It regards the question "What is a good Christian?".

Many people I know believe that so long as they believe in God, and his son, will go to heaven. No other action required.

Many others believe that you must do this, but you must attend church every Sunday (or, at least on a fairly regular basis). No other action required.

This is like when I tell my fourteen year old to do the laundry. Most of the time, what I get from this request is either: a) the clothes get put into the washing machine, the washing machine runs, but this is as far as it goes, or b) the clothes also manage to get dried by then remain in the dryer or in the clothes basket unfolded. If you are given a task, it is required you complete this task from start to finish. We all know that. However, many of us will hide behind "you didn't specify what you wanted." I did not tell her specifically to wash the clothes, dry them, fold them, then put them away in the correct dresser drawers.

So does God only give us the minimum of instructions? Is there anything beyond those minimum instructions required for us to get into Heaven? 

Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.


John 3:16 - “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 


 These two verses seem to imply that all I have to do is believe. Yes! I am in! I can sit around and do nothing more. 


James 2:24- You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

John 14:15 - “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 


Oh... hmm... this isn't good. I think I will choose to ignore verses like these. I don't like them. I am a good Christian. I believe in God the father, son and holy spirit. I go to church every Sunday, I've been baptized and confirmed into the faith, and I sometimes repent my sins. I am in!


Seriously people - even if all that is required to get in is to believe... this isn't right. Morally we have an obligation to carry it to a higher level. No one will ever be perfect while here on earth. We all sin. We're all going to screw this up. But that doesn't mean we just sit back and allow ourselves to sin, then go to Church on Sunday so it's all forgiven. 

Think of Heaven as an elite university we all want to get into. Our transcripts are in - we've all believed in God, attended church, been baptized and confirmed. So now the dean (God) must look at our extra-curricular activities. When you were walking home and saw an elderly lady struggling to pick something up which she dropped... did you help the lady? When your friend needed to get home because of an emergency and you had the extra cash to pay for gas, did you help? After enjoying a large meal, and leaving the restaurant, you noticed a homeless man sitting in the corner hungry. Did you offer a meal or some money to help this man? Someone called you in tears. Her best friend just died. You were on your way to a concert you spent $100 on. Did you stay home to take care of your friend? Or did you go enjoy your concert? 

 What will your application for entrance to Heaven look like? Remember, it isn't just about the grades you get, it's about all the little things you do as well. 

 







1 comment:

  1. I know some people that think it is okay to get to heaven with their shirt tails on fire. This might be part of a Baptist type joke, if you get your ticket. Like you said, "believing is all I need," then while we do the sin things we might get caught!!
    I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me drink.
    Thanks for the reminder Brandi.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus Shortname

Comments system