Sunday, September 9, 2012

Where is My Stronghold?


Have you ever had a period in your life where you felt utterly lost? Completely abandoned? Perhaps it was as a child, or as you grew old. Perhaps it was because of the death of a loved one, or hearing your own life would soon be ending, or some tragedy which occurred.

It's safe to say nearly all of us have most likely been through some experience which has left us sad, depressed, empty inside, and/or lost. Our emotions hit an all time low, which often affects the physical side of us, but also quite often affects us spiritually. We will often seek out help - to a degree - from God, but we feel abandoned by Him. We pray and beg and to no avail. God doesn't listen to us.

In Psalms 9:10, it says that He will not forsake us. And yet, time and again He seems to do just that. I cannot begin to count the number of times I have thought He has abandoned me. I cannot begin to count the number of times I have given up on believing in Him. I have sought Him out, and He has ignored my pleas. It begins to make a person doubt this God even exists.

Psalm 34:17-18 - The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Perhaps I am simply not righteous? Perhaps this is why I am never delivered from my troubles. There must be a reason, because the Lord has not saved this person whom is crushed in spirit. He continues to break my spirit more each day, to the point I cannot handle any more. Where is this Lord whom is supposed to be my stronghold - whom is to save this crushed spirit?

Matthew 11:28 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Could it be that we are not given this rest from our burdens until we die? If this is the case, it is no wonder that so many people commit suicide. Those who suffer torture and loss and torment so often get to the point where their waking hours are spent praying for that rest. Is it any wonder?

In case you haven't noticed yet, this really isn't a sermon. If it was, I would be telling you to lay your burdens at Jesus' feet and all will be well. The Lord will help you with your problems and worries. But no matter what my intentions of this blog site may be, being a liar is not an option. To say that should you give your worries to the Lord, all will be well - this may or may not be true. It is not true for me. I have been laying my troubles out before the Lord, asking and requesting and pleading and begging for rest and refuge, for over 30 years now. And in answer, I get more troubles.

So rather than post a sermon, I post a question (or two) - does God truly help some people with their burdens? How does one go about asking for this help? What is it I am doing wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system