Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Value of a Nickel






It's just a nickel. 5 cents. Can't buy a thing with it.

That's what most people would think anyway. But to me, this nickel is priceless. This nickel is one of the sweetest gifts I have ever received.

Most people know I've been having a really rough time the past couple weeks. I've had a lot of people turn their backs on me. I've lost a lot of things that have been very important to me. I've felt like God and family have all turned their back on me (not immediate family - they've been great).

This time of year is always excruciatingly difficult for me. This year, even more so. But a couple days ago, I was given this nickel as a gift.

This nickel reminded me of family. It reminded me of what is truly important. It reminded me that I need to place my focus on the gifts God has blessed me with. I have been blessed with amazing people - people who do have my back no matter what. People who have stood by me through all the hell. People who still stand by me. They aren't all blood. Most of them aren't blood. But the ties that bind us together are stronger than blood.

Family truly is not about blood. It is about those who are willing to see the real you, and love you anyway. It's about those who will show up to hold you through the rough times. It's about those who will laugh with you and cry with you. It's about those who are willing to say "you're being an idiot" but still hug you. It's about those who support you. It's about those who stay up all night with you because you're sad. It's about those who are willing to listen to you ramble on about nothing at all. It's about those who don't care if they get their shirt wet with your tears. It's about those who are willing to be silly and jump in puddles with you. It's about those who are willing to stand up for you when someone hurts you.

17 years ago, I lost a brother. He was born in 1980. A couple days ago, another brother, the same age as the brother I lost, found this nickel - a 1980 nickel. He gave it to me to remind me that I am not alone. He gave it to me to remind me that I have family. He gave it to me to remind me that I am loved. To the rest of the world, this gift may only be worth 5 cents. To me, it is worth the world. Family is worth the world. It is the most amazing gift God has given us.

Even in our darkest moments, God is there... working through our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system